What is the Email Addresses importer?
The email addresses importer will allow you to bulk add new emails to people and organizations in Wicket. This is done using a templated excel file that’s uploaded. The template is available to you for download when you access the Email Addresses importer.
Access the Email Addresses Importer
To access this feature, navigate to the Settings area of Wicket beside the search box. Click the gear icon, and select "Data Import" in the dropdown menu.
Set up your Import Job Type
On the first step of the import process, you will need to set up the type of import you are performing.
- Select the type of data you are importing from the dropdown (a required field). In this case, we are importing "Contact Email Addresses" data.
- Select the action you'd like to take with the data from the dropdown (a required field). In this case, we will "Add new records."
- Enter a name for this import job (an optional field).
- Click "Next."
Organize, upload, and validate your data
The next step is to gather your data and enter it into the provided XLS template.
- Download the blank XLSX template by clicking the "Download Contact Email Addresses Import Template" link. This template contains instructions and pre-defined columns based on your Wicket configuration.
- Populate the template with your data, and save it on your computer.
Note: It's important to read the General Instructions and Field Descriptions sheets within the template prior to populating your data. The Field Descriptions sheet will specify formatting, expected values, etc. for each column, if applicable. Following these will ensure a smoother data Validation process.
Important: Prior to uploading the template, delete the "General Instructions" and "Field Descriptions" sheets from the template, or move the "Import Template" sheet to the first position.
- When you're satisfied with the data in the template, click "Choose File" (Note: this button may be named something else, depending on your browser) to select the file from your computer, then click "Next" to upload it to Wicket.
- When the file has completed uploading to Wicket, a Validation process will automatically execute. This process checks your data's structure and for any other major issues.
- When completed, you will be presented with validation results including a confirmation of the File Size, Number of Records, and the Validation Outcome.
When validation has passed, you will see a green "Passed" outcome. You can now move onto the next step "Job Dry Run."
If the validation of your data fails, you will see a red "Failed" outcome. Wicket will display a list of errors found. Resolve the validation errors by fixing or deleting the erroneous data. You can re-attempt your upload once completed.
Perform an Import Dry Run
The final step in validating your data is performing a dry run of the import. This process simulates the full import in order to check each individual record for compliance against data rules and policies in the template and considering existing data in Wicket.
- Click "Start Job Dry Run." A progress bar will appear to track the dry run process.
When the Dry Run has completed, you will be presented with the results including counts for any failed, and successful records. If any records have failed, a "Download Failed Records Report" link will appear. This report contains a line-by-line breakdown of the issues detected for each row of data.
If you wish to resolve the failed records, correct them within your XLSX and re-upload the file to execute the validation and dry run processes again.
If there are no failed records, or you would like to continue with the import process with known failed records, click "Next." The failed records will not be imported.
Process Data Import and Complete Job
When you're satisfied with the Dry Run results, you can complete your import job. On the "Job Processing" step, you will be presented with a final confirmation of the number of records that will be processed.
IMPORTANT: This process will import your data, and the corresponding Wicket records will be affected. This action can not be undone.
- Click "Process Data Import and Complete Job." A progress bar will appear to track the process.
When the job has completed, you will be presented with the results including the number of successful and failed records. If any records have failed, a "Download Failed Records Report" link will appear. This report contains a line-by-line breakdown of the issues detected for each row of data.
Note: After import completion, you will not be able to change or re-run this import job. Failed records can be fixed and re-imported by starting a new import process.